Here’s a short list of words and phrases that I believe need a vacation. Or we need the vacation and the words/phrases can hang around with each other:
- Vibrant – particularly in connection with parishes, arts centers, or community get-togethers
- Nurturing – any use whatsosever
- Ironic, irony – high-toned expression of superiority
- Transformative – huh?
- Our youth – whatever happened to “boys and girls” or “young men and women”
- Joining the conversation – I have no idea what this really means, but I believe it has to do with agreeing with your intellectual and/or ethical adversaries to your disadvantage (their idea of a conversation) or having a self-affirmation festival with people who think just like you do
- Anything that I find myself saying and realize I’ve turned into an unpaid commercial for a product or ideology
Are there other words and phrases that should join the planned round-the-world cruise? Your additions are welcome.